Now that we have been living in Australia for 6 months I thought Id do a ‘Australia vs England’ run down of my top 5 fave things about Australia & the top 5 things I miss most from home (England).
Top 5 Fave things about Australia
- The Weather….it’s a given, and its sometimes too much… but waking up with the sun on your face just sets you in a good mood for the day.
- The Relaxed Nature… Aussies are a funny bunch, they are super chilled out usually and take their time with everything. Theres a super relaxed feel to almost everything here and I like that kind of way of life!
- The Food. Whether is the super fresh tropical fruit or the Asian influences, Australia has some amazing food that you just don’t get back home. I’ve become obsessed with good fruits and veggies and the funky salads over here. Much better for me too!
- The Great Outdoors… Due to the weather back home going to do any activity usually requires it to be the summer or the indoors, whereas here there seems to be a lot all year round. Kayaking, Snorkelling trips, food festivals, music festivals, there’s always something happening and something to go do!
- The work/life balance. In the UK I’d have to work 2 jobs and freelance to earn what I make for the same job here. The cost of living is more expensive but it still out weigh’s the difference. This means a better work life balance as I get to live life a bit more by working less! More time with my other half etc. Its great.
So they were my Top 5 Fave things about Australia! What are yours?! Tell me in the comments below!
Now for the Top 5 things I miss most from Home.
- The People. Don’t get me wrong the Aussies are all nice, but back home it’s just different. Theres family and you have people who you can pop into for a cup of tea and people who know you TOO well sometimes, but that’s because you’ve grown up with them. I wont get that here and it’s what makes me miss home most of all.
- The Weather….call me crazy but I do miss having the odd cold day! When the heat is constant I crave the crisp coldness of a winters morning from the UK.
- The History & Culture. I feel like a fad saying this as I always appreciated it when i was home but never enough to think I’d miss it. But Australia has a very limited history and no culture that it really embraces, other than they all like a good beer and a sausage sizzle. I miss the old buildings and the history of the country.
- The Sense of Humour. Aussies love a good laugh, as do the Brits but the bants just aren’t as good. Maybe it’s because I’m a bit of a scouser and I think they have some of the best senses of humour but I do miss that a lot about home.
- Chippy Tea. Bit of a funny one because I love the Aussie chippy tea, but there’s no proper gravy n peas n you do not get curry sauce unless you seek out a British chippy (barely any here!) so yeah its daft but I miss a good chippy!
So there you have it. Do you live away from home and if so, what do you miss most?